Monday, November 29, 2010

TakUMi BUtaI's SHriNe . . a JApaNEse HeRo


Being born here in Cotabato City I never expected to still have discovered new sites relevant to the historical aspect. Many might have known about what my feature is but I am sure many more is eager to know Takumi Butai.
The Provincial Commander of the Japanese force assigned here in Cotabato, Takumi died during the World War II and requested before he died that some of his ashes be buried in the city.  He considered the city as his second home.

Years later a shrine commissioned by the Cotabato government and the Lion's Club of Kyoto was erected, memorializing Butai and the many deceased Japanese Soldiers.  Japanese nationals visit in homage to a local hero and relieve the memories of war during the Japanese All Soul's Month in August.

Now Takumi Butai Memorial Shrine might be one of the places we have forgotten.  It was a discovery in my part since I haven’t really thought nor read about it. I just happen to bump Mr. Boy Dimaandal after taking photos of a famous and took me to the place. 

The shrine is located at Varga  Compound along San Sebastian Street, at the Cotabato Regional Hospital, it is sad to note that just recently no more Japanese visitors came to visit the shire unlike in the previous years.

No comments: